Friday 30 August 2013

Destined to footplate

I had to attend the counselling round for MBA admission at PUMBA, Pune. So, I planned a trip to Pune for the same. Not to mention it had to be by train on both ways, out of which one had to be DQ…..with this view in mind I finalised going to Pune by Deccan queen and return by Pragati as I wanted to see the Karjat-Panvel section. It was Tuesday morning when I logged on to irctc to book tickets. It showed 200 vacant seats for evening DQ and over 250 seats available for Pragati on Thursday morning.
After filling in all the details, when my ticket was issued they did not give me a window seat on DQ. I was shocked…..I mean 200 vacant seats means around 70 available windows. By this calculation I should be getting one. But I didn’t. I decided to try one more time. Again it gave me a middle seat.  This is not done, I was getting more and more agitated. How can it not give me a window seat when available and that too I’m travelling on my beloved train to Pune. I decided to book my return ticket and come back to this issue later. It was quick and it popped out a window (delighted and happy now) …..okay  I have to try again for DQ. This is the third time im booking for the same train,same journey and it gives me an aisle seat now. WTF!!!
IRCTC looked firm on its stand of not allotting me a window seat and I was also determined not to leave till I got a window. I decided to try till it gives me a window seat. Before my fourth attempt I cancelled my very first ticket and proceeded to book. After filling all the relevant data it gave me payment gateway error. By this time it was already 1.30 pm so I decided to finish my lunch and then try for the last time. If last attempt didn’t work I planned that I will get an unreserved ticket and catch a window in the general compartment. That was my last resort. Post lunch (that is my fifth attempt now), it says “Charting done, No more bookings allowed”. I was completely furious. It was as if they have predecided not to give me a window seat.
Now I have two confirm tickets of Deccan Queen to Pune but none of them match my requirement. When this drama was unfolding, some other thing was going on in my mind.When I reached Dadar station with a view to take a train to CST, I could hear the announcement "16381 dn Mumbai-Kanyakumari exp thode hi samay me platform kramank 5 par aa rahi hai". The train arrived behind KYN WCAM2p#21867 and to my surprise I found a known Loco Pilot to be the crew for the day.Well,great opportunity, let me try my luck this time.
I went to the cab,introduced myself and asked the LP if he could give me a ride in loco cab.Now, my back up plan was to get into general coach of DQ if that didn’t work out. After thinking for a minute he said “abhi sahab bhi hai sath me…..filhaal piche baith jao. Phir dekhte hai”. He was actually accompanied by Loco inspector (LP’s superior). I was more than happy to get into the back cab till Kalyan.
Ascending the ghats
Kalyan onwards I was in the front cab till Pune. He turned out to be a great person. We were chatting all the way up to Pune. He was generous enough to offer me Coffee at Lonavala where the weather was complimenting the mood. Dark clouds accompanied by light showers, green carpet outside and you are inside the loco cab cruising over 100 kmph through the countryside…….priceless!! It was a feeling of revenge or maybe achievement that you didn’t allow me to have a window seat. Look I managed to get a ride in the loco itself. Its kind of a greatest accomplishment for a railfan.
Right green

After pulling into Pune pf.4 we parked the loco in the trip shed. I thanked the crew for the awesome ride and proceeded to my cousin’s place for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment